Monday, December 13, 2010

Handmade Christmas part 1

My daughter, believe it or not, has been begging me desperately for a Christmas outfit to wear to Grandma's. She even wants a dress! The ultimate Jean Girl wants a dress! I think I will faint now... She showed me a picture from a magazine that has a girl in a long sleeved striped top with a little sundress over it. I said I would get to it if I had time... LOL! I'm sneaky that way.

Anyhoo, I've been pouring over all my patterns and Ottobre magazines to find something suitable and hopefully that she'll like. It's probably going to come back and bite me in the butt for not working with her on it, but what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment! I've already finished the striped top and I wrapped it before I took a picture. Doh! It's Ottobre 2/2007 design #3(I think). I used some Chez Ami black and white striped cotton/Lycra. I actually made myself a shirt with the same fabric and the same pattern. I made mine with an aqua neckband but chose white for hers. I love that shirt and I hope she will like hers. For the dress, I'm using Lana from Ottobre 5/2010. I think the woman in the magazine looks so cute with the long sleeved dress underneath. I figured it'd be a lot more modest and warm than a tiny sundress. The most trouble I've had was finding fabric to use. Most of the knits I have are boyish or way to thin. I ended up going to the thrift shop in search of fabric and came away with a $2 long sleeved knit dress in a pretty plum color. It came with a vest too but I was able to cut the entire pattern from the main dress. That pretty much reduced it to shreds!
This is all I have left!

Now I have the pattern all laid out and ready to sew.

I've read others' reviews and it seems like a quick sew. I'll probably get it done today while she's in school. I may wrap it, but I'm itching to just give it to her when she gets home!

2 comments:

Millie said...

Oh, that sounds lovely...I'm sure she will love it, and I'm delighted that she asked you to make her something!
After telling you that I had planned to make no hand-made gifts, a few have been sneaking their way under my machine's presser foot!

angie.a said...

Aw, I'm so jealous! Wish Lu would let me sew for her.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin