Thursday, July 2, 2009

Colette Beignet

I finally got my review up on Pattern Review for my Beignet skirt. I still haven't made the belt but, oh well! I thought I'd post my review here, too. And can I just say that I never realize just how big my rack is until I see pictures of myself! I mean, good grief.... Okay, sorry, TMI.

Pattern Description:

From website:

High waisted straight skirt provides a very flattering shape with paneled styling: not too loose or too tight around the hips, with a very fitted waist. Buttons up the front, has side seam pockets, and includes a self tie belt, which can be swapped out for your own narrow belts. Skirt has a faced waist, button placket and full lining.

Pattern Sizing:

0-18. Sizes run similar to RTW.



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?


I think it looked pretty close considering I'm a bit more on the ample side! LOL!



Were the instructions easy to follow?


Oh, the instuctions are great! Seriously, I think that a beginner could easily follow along. Plus, Sarai has a glossary in the back with some of the sewing terms she uses throughout. The diagrams are wonderful, too!



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?


This pattern is so well written and beginner friendly! It has quite a few pattern pieces including all the lining pieces but I really found it to go together quickly. The subtle shaping at the waist and hip just skims over the body and it fits so nicely!
Back.
Another front view.
It also comes in an adorable little booklet format and it's binding is, fittingly, stitched! CUTE!



Fabric & Notions Used:


I used a peach-y/coral-y cotton twill I found at the thrift shop last summer. The lining is just some white nylon tricot. The buttons are some big ol' fat buttons that came in one of those big button grab bag kinda things you can buy at Hobby Lobby and the like. I couldn't believe I had twelve of the exact same button. They are a bit too thick though and are more intended for a coat or something. Next time I'll use a smaller button. Do be sure to read through the pattern to see what all you'll need. I noticed the supply list on the back has a few errors. I'm sure it will be fixed in the next printing but just thought I'd put that out there for ya!



Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:


This pattern goes up to an 18 and my measurements would put me at a 20 if the sizes had continued on. Each size increases by about 1/4" so I just added that much to each piece where the sizes graduated up and not to every seam. Does that make sense?? One thing I should mention, too, is that although the pattern calls for 2 1/2 yards of fabric I used maybe 1 1/2 yds or just a tad more. The extra length printed on the pattern is due to the length of the self tie belt. If you piece the belt instead of cut it as one long piece you should be good to go with less fabric. (I still need to make the belt, btw. I just haven't gotten around to it.)I was also able to squish the pattern pieces closer together using even less fabric.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?


Oh yes, I'd really like to make this again. This was more or less a test garment to see if I'd like this shape on me. I don't normally wear skirts this short but I think it looks okay on me! I do recommend it as well! I think this style will look great on lots of different body shapes.



Conclusion:


This is an awesome new independant pattern line and the designer, Sarai, is super sweet! I love all her designs and have most of them so far. Go out and support our independant designers!!!

2 comments:

Sarai said...

Thanks for the great review, it's such a pleasure to read that you liked it!

Suus said...

Thanks for this review - i am also on the ample side and i really think this skirt looks beautiful on you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin